Discover Korean Food 97: Dr. Sook-Ja Yoon’s “GUGIJA-YAK-GUA””
GUGIJA-YAK-GUA is a honey pastry and contains a Chinese matrimony vine with honey and grain syrup. A Chinese matrimony vine is good for the kidneys, the lung, the hair, and the eyes. It boosts stamina.
220 g flour, 1 tsp Chinese matrimony vine (powder), 2 tbsp sesame oil, 2 tbsp honey, 2 tbsp refined wine, ¼ salt, ½ ginger juice, 0.1 g white pepper powder, ¼ tsp cinnamon
1 egg, 4 cups vegetable oil
Grain syrup: 1 cup honey, ¼ tsp cinnamon
1. Mix the flour with the Chinese matrimony vine and the sesame oil. Strain them.
2. Make them into dough with the honey, refined rice wine, ginger juice, white pepper powder, and cinnamon.
3. Cut the dough into 0.5 cm in depth, 3.5 cm width and length. Make 5 or 6 holes.
4. Deep fry them for 15 minutes at 90°C. Deep fry them for 5 minutes at 150~160°C.
5. Drain the oil and soak into the grain syrup.
* Dough softly not to get sticky.
* Make sure to remove the oil before soaking into the syrup.