Discover Korean Food 94: Dr. Sook-Ja Yoon’s “Yunyip-Dongchimi”
YUNYIP-DONGCHIMI is a radish water kimchi with lotus leaves. Lotus leaf is used for as a styptic. It helps remove bodily waste and is good for extravagating the blood after childbirth. The characteristic of water parsley is cold. It keeps the body cool and reduces thirst. It keeps maintain a good appetite and a function of liver.
500 g radish, 2 tbsp coarse salt, 30 g water parsley, ½ cucumber, ¼ pear, 2 red chilli, 1 garlic, 40 g spring onion
* a radish kimchi water: 5 cups water, ¼ tsp lotus leaves powder, 1 tbsp fine salt
1. Peel the radish. Cut it in 0.1 thickness and 6 cm diameter. Put them with the water parsley and salt for half an hour.
2. Chop the garlic. Chop the spring onions in 5 cm length. Rub the cucumber with the salt and cut it 0.2 cm in width, 5 cm in length.
3. Cut the red chillies in half. Remove the inside. Cut them in 0.2 cm thickness and 5 cm length.
4. Place the pear, cucumber and chillies on the radish. Roll and bind them with the water parsleys
5. Put in a pot jar. Pour the water of radish kimchi with lotus leaves
* stir the water before serving.