Share This Article
Discover Korean Food #21: Dr. Sook-Ja Yoon’s "Tteokguk", Sliced Rice Cake Pasta Soup
Tteokguk is a soup made of diagonally sliced rice cakes simmered in beef broth, garnished with pressed meat, and fried egg white and yolk strips. People enjoy tteokguk made with sliced garaetteok on the first day of the year. Garaetteok is a rice cake rod that pulled it into a long rod. It is eaten in hopes of expanding one’s property like the rice cake rod.
1. Clean blood of beef with cotton cloths. Wash the fragrant seasoning cleanly.
2. Put the beef and water in the pot, heat it up for 7 min. on high heat. When it boils, lower the heat to medium, simmer it for 30 min. Add the fragrant seasoning, simmer it for another 30 min.
3. Shred the white rice cake 4 cm-long, 0.2 cm-thick diagonally.
4. Wash the green onion and cut it into 2 cm-long lengthwise diagonally.
5. Pan-fry eggs for yellow/white garnish and cut into 2 cm of diaper shape
6. Cut the shred red pepper into 2 cm-long.
3. Dip up the soup in a bowl, garnish with beef (80 g), egg and shred red pepper.
*Simmered ox knee bone broth, or brisket and shank may be an another choice for the broth.
*Pan-fried skewered beef garnish may be an option.